Many of the interesting activites and historical information about Buffalo NY. Also Sub-Listed, all gay community health services, information services, sports groups, cruising areas, cultural areas and resources to other informational websites
did you know
about 1 hour south of Buffalo – Night of the living Dead was made . If you drive to Florida – you pass right by it. The cemetery is still there
|Things to know if you live in Buffalo NY
- FoodIn Buffalo NY – We call them “wings,” or “chicken wings” if you want to be formal. NEVER, EVER “Buffalo wings”. Duffs better than anchor bar.
- Nobody outside of WNY (that’s WESTERN New York – NOT “UPSTATE”!) can make decent wings.
- In Buffalo NY – It’s Beef on “Weck” not “Wick”. Corner of Cayuga and wherle in cheektowaga
- It’s “pop” not “soda”.
- In Buffalo NY – They’re “subs” not hoagies or heroes or bombers.
- In Buffalo NY – A large pizza with cheese & pepperoni shouldn’t cost more than 12 bucks and is over 18 inches.
- Everyone knows someone who works in a pizza joint.
- Vinegar goes on fries and blue cheese goes with everything.
- Bison Chip Dip is the only dip worth eating.
- In Buffalo NY – It’s got to be Weber’s Mustard.
- We all know the Louie’s to-go hot dog special…buy 5, get one free…is just a way to get the drunks to go home.Dining OutEveryone knows where “the best fish-fry in town” is.
- Everyone knows Mighty Taco is way better than Taco Bell.
- Jim’s Steak Out is best served at 3 am to a drunk.
- The hot dog man on the corner has the best hot dogs in the world.
- Except for maybe Friday nights, you don’t have to wait for a table.
- In Buffalo NY – There is no public restaurant in town that requires
- a jacket and tie…if there was, we wouldn’t go there.
- You won’t find Grey Poupon on the table.
- We don’t “valet park” unless there is absolutely no other choice.
- Every bar has “happy hour” prices from 4:30 – 7pm, Monday – Friday.
- Even though no one orders it, if it doesn’t have “Genny” it’s not a bar.
- Anything over $3.00 for a beer is robbery.
- The bars don’t close until 4:00 am.
- There’s a bar every 10 feet.Geography & RoadsYou call it “the Scajaquada” but you spell it “198”. (It’s an expressway for those
- of you who don’t have a clue – NOT a “highway”!)
- The most famous address is “998 Broadway”.
- You still get queasy driving over the Peace Bridge to Canada in blowing snow.
- It isn’t a real snowstorm unless they ban driving for more than 6 hours.
- You carry a shovel and jumper cables in your trunk all year round.
- You think anyone who drives more than 20 minutes to get to work must live in the boondocks.
- You get mad when you get stuck in “rush hour” traffic and it takes 10 minutes longer to get home.
- You avoid the “blue water tower” during “rush hour” because of the above.
- You know Fort Erie is famous for two things: Chinese food and the “ballet” (which I BELIEVE is “code” for “lap dance”).
- The roads and bridges have been paid for since 1968 but they aren’t ever taking out the tollbooths.
- It’s inevitable whatever is finally decided on the Peace Bridge issue will no doubt be the wrong choice.
- You rode Rapid Transit from end to end once just to see what it was like. (and it took all of 20 minutes!)
- Paying $5 to park all day downtown is robbery.
- The hookers may be gone, but Chippewa street still isn’t for everyone.
- “LA” is Lackawanna, not Los Angeles.
- Canada isn’t thought of as another country…it’s just “over the bridge”.
- Secretly, you like going to Toronto.Institutions
- You threaten to send your kids to Father Bakers’ if they don’t behave.
- You can pronounce “Weinstein” correctly on the first try.
- Even though they haven’t done it in about 25 years you’re pretty sure Channel 7
- still makes reference to “pistol packing punks,” and
- you’re pretty sure they don’t show the same fire every night.
- ask jim carey he remembers
- You know Commander Tom’s real identity.
- You can only name three radio stations that have been around longer than five years: WGR, WBEN and WKBW. At least you think WKBW is still around, you just don’t know what it plays since they got rid of Danny Neavereth.
- Everyone says the Albright Knox Art Gallery is a treasure, but a lot of the stuff in there kind of looks like drop-cloths.
- It’s the “Hamburg Fair” not the “Erie County Fair and Exposition.”
- Dingus day is a well-celebrated holiday. (And DON’T forget your pussy willows!!)
- You know the wrong newspaper folded in 1983.
- You consider JC Penney to be a relatively “upscale” department store.
- It’s “UB” – not “SUNY at Buffalo, Amherst”
- The St. Patrick’s day parade means winter is officially over, even if it snows.
- There is some kind of “fest” somewhere, every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- A “fest” is just another reason to drink.Sports
- All-time number 1 – you HATE the Miami Dolphins.
- We’re sure the NFL is out to screw us. So is the NHL. The NBA already did.
- So did major league baseball. So did the Big East conference.
- Someone must listen to Bison games on the radio, you just never met him.
- You know someone who knows someone who really knows “the real story” on Jim Kelly.
- You have a strong opinion one way or the other on Ralph Wilson.
- You can’t believe that you once really liked OJ.
- None of the new theme parks is as cool as Crystal Beach was in its’ day.Unbelievable things about other placesEveryone doesn’t pay 8.75% sales tax OR $3,000 property taxes on a $70,000 house???All golf courses aren’t flat???
What’s a freeway???
The rest of the country isn’t 90% Catholic???
What do you mean we have an accent??? We talk exactly like the announcers on television.
People who live in areas subject to hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, droughts, wild fires, mudslides and earthquakes can’t believe that we would live in an area that gets so much snow??? Imagine that!!! I guess they would rather drown, burn, get blown away, or buried alive than shovel for a while (after which you do what our former old mayor said – get a six pack and stay home!-again, probably NOT Genny, but hey, if it’s all that’s left in the store after all this snow, well, you’d even drink THAT!)
Hey, world, we have snowplows and snow blowers. Most of all we have four seasons. Sometimes all in one day. Top that!!!
Last Bastion of the
Yes in western New York
the town of Town Line
( 2 rod road and Broadway between
Lancaster and Alden )
was the last government to rejoin the Union
and the only known government to actual use the
army/navy military confederate flag
Did you Know
Just up the street from the underground and around the corner from cathode ray, On September 14, 1901, Theodore Roosevelt took the oath of office as the nation’s 26th president following the assassination of President William McKinley. At the Ansley Wilcox house, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site.
About 200 feet up north of there – on the north side of north street – the British had their camp just before burning down Buffalo in the 1812 war. most of the buildings south of marcellas and underground were fried as the people took off running down main st to williamsville to seek shelter.
Buffalo’s Millionairs row reffers to the large mansions along deleware avenue from a time when buffalo was one of the richest city’s in the united states.
In May, 1896, the Ellicott Square Building opened. For the next sixteen years, it was the largest office building in the world
In 1881, Buffalo deployed the first electric street lights in the United
The Men’s Bar History Project has identified over 110 gay bars since 1930. That’s the year Galante’s speakeasy opened behind City Hall and became Buffalo’s very first gay bar. Since that time there has been an unbroken string of bars welcoming gay men to Buffalo in the early 60’s there were 16 gay bars in buffalo
all of buffalo’s gay bar history can be found on the men’s bar history project.